All counselors must abide by the relevant Code of Ethics for their own profession, i.e. Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Substance Abuse Counselor etc. to include but not be limited to the NAADAC Code of Ethics.
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that all employees of each site shall receive an orientation to the FARR’s Code of Ethics, Code of Ethics that may apply due to their individual profession and document their willingness to abide by these principles as a condition of employment;
- Where applicable, the professional staff at each site shall review all pertinent Codes of Ethics annually, and attest in writing to their willingness to abide by the principles;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that admitted residents will receive an orientation to their rights and responsibilities including their right to receive ethical care. This shall be documented in the client record;
- If a site has a website, either their and/ or FARR’s Ethical Code shall be posted thereon. The FARR Grievance Form shall be posted on the Certified Residence’s website or clearly linked to same on the FARR website;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that all residents are provided information during their orientation session of the process and steps the resident may take to report any ethical or standards violations;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that no retribution, intimidation, or any negative consequences shall occur if a grievance or complaint has been filed.
While employed at any site and even thereafter such employment ends, the use of confidential information must never be disclosed to outsiders except with the resident’s written authorization or as allowed under Federal and/or state law. No site employee or any FARR Certified Residence may use, or permit others to use, confidential information for the purpose of furthering a private interest or as a means of making a profit.
Responsibility to Clients
- A FARR and/or site Certified Residence/ employee’s primary obligation is to respect the integrity and promote the welfare of the resident, whether the resident is assisted individually or in a group relationship. In a group setting, the Certified Residence/ employee is also responsible for taking reasonable precautions to protect individuals from physical and/or psychological trauma resulting from interaction within the group;
- FARR Certified Residences shall ensure that in any group setting, site employees and visiting counselors must set a norm of confidentiality regarding all group participants’ disclosures;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that if a resident is already or has been in a counseling relationship with another professional person or entity, staff must attempt contact with them after obtaining proper releases for the exchange of relevant information. The contacts or attempts to contact must be documented in the resident record;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that if a resident’s condition indicates that there is a clear and imminent danger to the resident or others, all site employees must inform responsible authorities after consultation with his/her manager, Director, or supervisor;
- FARR Certified Residences and site employees will refrain from any practice of intimidation, bullying or otherwise threatening behavior; relying instead upon the appropriate application of the residence rules and consequences.
- FARR Certified Residences and site employees should ensure that the residence rules and consequences are posted in a common space accessible to all residents and that these rules and consequences are uniformly applied to all residents.
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that no site employee will solicit or accept any commission, fee, or anything of monetary value from residents, other related persons, or referral sources;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that all site employees act to prevent discrimination of any kind;
- FARR Certified Residences should ensure that if a resident’s condition deteriorates, i.e. relapse or psychological deterioration, referral and linkage to appropriate interventions will be attempted;
- FARR Certified Residences should at all times ensure for fair and equitable financial policies and procedures pertaining to scholarships and repayment processes, i.e.
(Partial or Full) Residents are oriented to the type of scholarship and specifically what is included in the scholarship. Orientation is to be acknowledged by resident signature and a copy of the documentation maintained in the resident file.
Certified Residences who structure a payment system for admission or weekly fees should ensure the payment system is fair and equitable, and the resident is afforded the financial means to care for personal self. The repayment
- Fees should be renegotiable if resident’s financial ability is altered and in no way inhibit the resident from seeking alternative employment which would strengthen their well being.
- FARR Certified Residences and their employees shall excuse themselves from taking an active part in treatment plans of relatives, close friends, and/or business acquaintances;
- FARR Certified Residences and their employees may participate in political activities on their own time and in accordance with their individual desires and preferences, but it must be clear at all times that they are doing so as individuals and not as representatives of FARR or their organization unless specifically agreed to by FARR or their site director.;
- FARR Certified Residences and their employees may not offer or pay any commission, bonus, rebate, kickback, or bribe, directly or indirectly, in cash or in-kind, or engage in any split fee arrangement, in any form whatsoever, to induce the referral of patients or patronage to or from a health care provider or health care facility.
- FARR Certified Residences and their employees may not solicit or receive any commission, bonus, rebate, kickback, or bribe, directly or indirectly, in cash or in-kind, or engage in any split-fee arrangement , in any form whatsoever, to induce the referral of patients or patronage to or from a health care provider or health care facility.
- FARR Certified Residences and their employees may not solicit or receive any commission, bonus, rebate, kickback, or bribe, directly or indirectly, in cash or in-kind, or engage in any split-fee arrangement, in any form whatsoever, in return for the acceptance or acknowledgement of treatment from a health care provider or health care facility.
- FARR Certified Residences shall ensure that any former resident will not be hired as an employee at any site unless a significant period of time has elapsed. A minimal 1 (one) year period should be clearly stated in the site’s policy and procedures regarding employment of former clients;
- FARR Certified Residences shall ensure that all program associates refrain from engaging in any non-therapeutic dual relationships for a minimum of 2 (two) years. If a more restrictive time frame is listed in an employee’s professional ethics code, then that time frame shall apply;
- FARR Certified Residences shall not provide clinical or therapeutic interventions which are licensable under Chapter 65D-30, Florida Administrative Code without a license issued by the Department of Children and Families, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Program Office.
Responsibility to Colleagues
- FARR Certified Residences and site employees having knowledge of unethical practices on the part of another colleague shall report such practices to the site Director and/or, as needed, to the colleague’s professional Ethics Board.
- FARR Certified Residences and site employees should not use the workplace for proselytizing religious, political, or economic issues.
- No FARR Certified Residences/ site shall not knowingly make marketing claims or create any advertising that contains:
- False or misleading statements or exaggerations
- Testimonials that do not really reflect the real opinion of the involved individual
- Price claims that are misleading
- Therapeutic strategies for which licensure and/or counseling certifications are required but not applicable at the site.